Tuesday 23 October 2018

Georgina Hannan- foster an author



Foster an Author 

Interview with Georgina Hannan-Author

Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
I am currently 28 (a few months until I’m 29) and I live by the near the sea in East Sussex with my partner and gorgeous daughter.
I am a homely, family person and enjoys reading and writing and chatting with fellow authors and readers.

Do you have any bad habits and what are your best qualities?
Haha I think I am supposed to say no? But of course I do, I wouldn’t be a properly rounded person if I didn’t. My worst habit is probably swearing – I swear a lot!
Best qualities would be I am a good listener and like to help others where I can.

Do you have any body piercings and tattoos?  If so where and what are they?
Yes, I only have my ears pierced but I have 4 tattoos.

All my tattoos mean something to me. The first one is of 3 books on top of each other with the 3 titles in my Cursed Trilogy and a few words in Latin that relate to the last book. That is on my right shoulder blade.

The second one is the shape people call the infinity symbol, with a feather on one end and the words ‘Twindles Forever’. This is because I am a twin and me and my sister call each other Twindles and are really close. This one is on the underside of my right forearm.

The third one is my author tag line (Floating on the wings of imagination) with a leaf each end. This one is on my left calf spiralling round.

The fourth one is a clock face with the time my daughter was born, Lilies because her middle name is Lily (first name is Summer) and a banner detailing her first name, the date she was born and how much she weighed. This one is on my left upper arm.

When did you first start writing?
I first started writing in school when I was about thirteen/fourteen years old.

What's the story behind your last release?
My last release (a few years ago now) was The Chopper which is a paranormal horror. The story features ghosts and is focused around the nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons.
For those of you who don’t know it, it is a little game children used to play whilst singing it and it’s a lot more sinister than you’d think.
It ends: … And here comes a chopper to chop off your head. Chop, chop, chop the last man’s dead.
You can see why that could be a powerful story idea.

Why haven’t you released anything else since?
I haven’t released anything for two years because life got in the way. I had already started my next book when I released The Chopper and I was planning on finishing it and releasing it a year later however, I found out I was pregnant (when I was already 6 months gone – yes BIG shock) and so our lives changed quickly to prepare for the new arrival and it has taken a while to get into a balance where I can write again.
I am writing again and I am planning on releasing my next book next year (2019).

What motivated you to become an indie author?
I wanted to be able to see my story in print and ebook and say "I did this", "I actually wrote this". Plus I wanted to prove to all my friends and family that I could actually do it.
I first published 5 years ago and now have 7 books under my belt!
Not as many as some I know but I am proud of my achievements.

Where do you publish?
Amazon, CreateSpace (before it closed) and Smashwords. I have a few on Google Books too.

How have these platforms contributed to your success?
They have provided a big platform for selling my ebook/paperback to be able to reach a wider range of readers.

What is the greatest joy of writing for you?
Reading what I've written, knowing I personally came up with everything, that it's all my imagination.
Sometimes when re-reading I even surprise myself enough to think “wow did I actually write this!”

What do your fans mean to you?
Everything! Without them buying, reading & reviewing I am not an author, just a writer. They make me better myself.

What are you working on next?
I am currently working on an idea I have had in the background for a good few years now. It is mostly a secret whilst I work on the first draft (started 2 years ago!), but I can say it’s a paranormal book and I am very excited by it.

How much research do you do?
Depends on the subject matter I am writing but I always do some. That might be researching a location, names, incidents or all of them. If there is something in the story I personally have no experience with then I will research so I can write about it as if I do.

What is your view on self-editing?
I believe it’s a must. I have grown so much from self-editing and can see my writing improve. I don’t just rely on self-editing of course but it helps me and I think every author should do it.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured. And do you have a daily word count for each chapter?
No, I have a day job and a young daughter so I write around them. It tends to mostly be evenings or whenever my partner is off work so I can grab a few child free hours. I don’t set a daily word count but if I’m in a writing mood then I try and better my previous word count.

Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
Computer.

Where do your ideas come from?
Anywhere! Music, pictures, conversations and just thin air.

Who are your favorite authors?
Some of my favourite authors are:
·       Lauren Kate,
·       Karen Mahoney,
·       Jill Mansell,
·       Nancy Holder,
and of course many more!

When you're not writing, how do you spend your time?
When I am not writing I am either working as an IT Manager, spending time with m daughter and partner or catching up on TV.

Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?
Yes I do. I wrote it in school for a project, it was from two points of view about a girl who was cursed to always lose those she loved. One day I want to write it properly into a full length story.

How do you approach cover design?
I always have an idea as to how I'd like the cover to look. I have a friend who is a painter and he has painted the covers for the Cursed Trilogy so they are unique. Otherwise I have many cover designers on Facebook so I just approach them for custom covers or browse their premade covers.

What do you read for pleasure?
I tend to read the genres I write, paranormal, horror, romance, young adult or I play games on my phone or just binge watch TV. Although since having my daughter my new favourite hobby is sleeping!

What is your favourite quote?
It’s my author tag line… Floating on the wings of imagination.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Write, write and write. Edit, edit and edit. You will only get better by self-editing and writing more and more. Always write for yourself and never give up.

Georgina Hannan’s Links:
Website: http://www.georginahannan.com/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorGeorginaHannan/
Facebook Profile: https://www.facebook.com/Georgina.Hannan.Author
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AuthorGeorgina
Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Georgina-Hannan/e/B00BHHZ9DI/
Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Georgina-Hannan/e/B00BHHZ9DI/
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/authorworld
Blog: http://authorgeorginahannan.blogspot.co.uk
Email: authorgeorgina@yahoo.co.uk

#FAA2018 #Fosteranauthor2018 #FosteranAuthorBlogger

No comments:

Post a Comment