Monday 20 April 2015

Growing Up - my review

Anyone that follows my reviews will probably know that I rarely read non-fiction. However this author and book piqued my interest as he's from my hometown. 

This is the authors story of growing up in Ireland in the 50s, 60s and 70s . He tells us of a vast range of his experiences. From the cruelty he experienced at school to his sexual experiences as a young boy this author tells a story that I really enjoyed. Through the authors words we read about an array of subjects such as politics, religion, football etc Although there are sad moments the author tells us his story in a lighter note that I enjoyed. 

This book is quite descriptive. As I'm from the same town I really enjoyed remembering the streets and places he mentioned. Even the girls school he mentions is the school I went to ( even if it was many years later). 


A few quotes and my view of them:)
"We also could have fried Christmas pudding if we wished" ...my partner is English and adamantly refuses to even try this. I'm Irish and love it. 

"Bonfire night 29th June"....This brings great memories back to me as its my parents wedding anniversary and when we were younger we celebrated it at the bonfire. 

This was one of them unique reads where I actually read parts of it out to my partner. For a rare reader like himself he actually enjoyed parts of this. I can see this book been read by a wide range of people ( not the young due to the sexual experiences of the author).

This is certainly a great read for anyone interested in life in the 50s-70s in Ireland. 


No comments:

Post a Comment