Monday 20 July 2015

Beyond The Sea - book tour & review

BOOK TOUR

Beyond the Sea by Melissa Bailey

Description
The second novel from Melissa Bailey, author of The Medici Mirror...

One summer's day, Freya's husband and son vanish at sea.

A year on, and struggling to cope, Freya returns to the lighthouse-keeper's cottage on a remote Hebridean island, where she and her family spent so many happy times.

Haunted by visions of her old life, Freya's dreams are dark and disturbed. And when a stranger, Daniel, is washed ashore during a storm, they turn even more menacing.

As dream and reality start to merge, Daniel seems to be following Freya's every move. What does he want from her and is he everything he seems to be?

Is her mind playing tricks? Or is the danger that she senses very real?

Buy link

Note from author

Where I write…

 

I write in the loft at the top of the house – a warm, bright, white space, with only a few things on the walls and very little furniture (a desk, a chair and some bookshelves). 

 

Every day, after I’ve had breakfast, I head up thereswitch my computer on and go straight into Word before I can get too distracted by other things – Facebook, twitter, other people’s books, the view through the big window, what the neighbours are doing etc. I remember reading an article by David Mitchell in which he said he practically runs to his laptop every day and opens the file of his novel without asking himself whether he’s in the mood to work on it. Only when the words are on the screen is he safe. Up until that moment the possibility for diversions areendless. I know what he means and I try to follow his example. 

 

In an attempt to avoid distraction, my desk faces a wall. I don’t think it would work that well for me if it was in front of the window - I can imagine all too well staring vacantly through the glass for most of the day. Besides my laptop, my desk has very few objects on it: three beautiful rocks I picked up from a beach on the west coast of Iona when I visited for research for Beyond the Sea, an old hurricane jar containing a candle, paper and pens, a dictionary, thesaurus and other research books in a pile. Other than that it’s empty. However, there is a notice board on the wall above my desk, full of notes, quotes, pictures - black and white and colour - and postcards; things which are meant to remind me, inspire me and occasionally console me as I write! There’s a beautiful poem up there called Parting by Taniguchi Buson. Simple yet very touching:

 

For me who go,

For you who stay –

Two autumns.

 

But of everything on that board a black and white photo of my parents on the beach at Scarborough in 1960 is my favouriteI love it, faded and crinkled as it is, and the visible lines running across it only make me feel a greater sense of nostalgia. My dad is in the middle, my mum on the right.


 Behind my desk are bookshelves containing the novels and short stories of some of my favourite writers: Haruki Murakami, Michel Faber, Jeanette Winterson, Banana Yoshimoto, to name but a few. There are also a couple of overloaded shelves packed full of ‘to be read’ books. I try not to turn around and pick any of them up while I’m writing and generally I’m pretty good about it. But occasionally, if the words aren’t flowing too well, I might swivel round in my chair and accidentally find myself reading someone else’words all day. No bad thing. As long as it doesn’t happen too often!


**MY REVIEW **


This is a truly beautiful read.  I've not read anything by this author before so I wasn't sure what I was expecting. I certainly wasn't expecting such a heartfelt story.


Freya's husband and son are lost at sea. Freya returns to her lighthouse cottage a year after their disappearance. She's hoping that returning home will help her move on and cope with her grief. 
The author did a wonderful job of portraying the raw pain that Freya was going through with her grief. I felt as if I was going through the pain with Freya. Freya's flashbacks of the past as well as letters brought so much more to this story.

I loved the mythology aspect of the story. I found the telling of the myths very interesting. 

This is a really brilliant well written story. Read in one sitting I totally got lost in Melissas words. Looking forward to reading more from this author. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment