Wednesday 24 October 2018

Questions & Answers with Tracey Jerald



Today we have Questions and Answers with Tracey Jerald


• Where do you get your ideas? From everywhere! I’ve picked up ideas from billboards, airports, even in the middle of concerts. I have no shame in whipping out my iPhone and taking notes.
• What is the first book that made you cry? Little House on Plum Creek. I was in the third grade (8 years old) and I remember crying during the Christmas snow storm scene. As an adult, I’ve cried over numerous books. M. Leighton’s The Empty Jar gutted me.
• When you develop characters do you already know who they are before you begin writing or do you let them develop as you go? I have a strong idea of their story, but I don’t know every move they’ll make. They frustrate me as if they were actually living in my home.
• Where is your favourite place to write? My favourite place to write is my kitchen table. Odd, I know. Most writers need solitude. I don’t want to miss out on family time, so I write in the heart of my home. I just throw in ear buds and can still lose myself even in the midst of everything.
• How long have you been writing? Practically forever. I drew story books, wrote in journals, and loved creative writing classes. I remember rewriting the ending to books where I didn’t love the ending when I was bored during college.
• What inspires you? Life. Giving people who didn’t have a happy ending the one they should have had.
• What do you like to do in your free time? Free time. I know these words have meaning somewhere in a land where my son and husband don’t generate enough laundry for twenty people. Obviously reading. We also take trips as a family.
• What’s your favourite food and drink? Coffee. Cheese. Chocolate – maybe not in that order though. When I was a child, I remember my parents buying me an Easter bunny made out of cheese instead of chocolate. It was amazing!
• Do you snack while writing? When I get really frustrated, which is why it’s bad I write in the kitchen. LOL.
• What is your favourite genre to read and why? I’m a huge romance reader. The first romance I ever read was Nora Roberts’ True Betrayals. I actually own it in multiple languages. When I put that book down, something inside me knew that was what I was meant to be doing.  
• How important is research to you when writing a book? I do a lot of research. I also want my readers to know where they can go to for more information or help. In my upcoming full-length book, I had to defend my position on a decision I made. I personally need to know I have that supporting research to back my position.
• What works best for you: typewriter, longhand, computer? Computer – with about three backups. If I tried longhand, they might title my books, “The Doctor Chronicles – Prescriptions” written by Tracey Jerald. My handwriting is awful!
• Do you believe a book cover plays an important part in the selling process? I do because it’s the first image readers have into your vision. However, you can find a strong cover that fits your brand and your books image without breaking the bank.
• Does a bad review affect your writing? It drives me harder. I’m going to be honest; I do read my reviews. It’s not because I’m looking for all magical, fluffy, happy words; it’s because I want to know if I missed something critical or if someone truly has substantial feedback. Yes, sometimes those come with a negative review. What gets to me – truly crushes me - is when the words are written cruelly. And yes, I’ve had a few of those already.
• How much of yourself do you put into your novels? I could laugh the question off and say none of me at all, but that’s just not the case. There’s some of me in everything I write.
• Who are your books mostly dedicated to? My husband and my son, absolutely and always. My Meows, who are my best friends on the planet. My parents; my mother who I am blessed to still have with me and my father, who died over eight years ago.
• Are you friends with other writers? I am. In fact, two writers basically kicked my arse to get me to push publish for the first time.
• Can you tell us about your current projects? I have a holiday novella coming out on December 13. It was supposed to be just a quick page for my newsletter subscribers and ended up much more! It’s a M/M – something I’ve never written before, but I found myself obsessed with the story. It’s set in the Amaryllis universe. After that is the next sister in my Amaryllis series; Corinna’s story. Since it’s with my editor, and the cover and blurb won’t be released until January 3, I’ll only say I was sobbing while I wrote sections of that story. Both can be added to your TBR by clicking here: http://smarturl.it/GR_TraceyJerald
• Do you listen to music while writing? If so what do you listen to? I used to play four instruments (cello, flute, guitar, and piano) so I have eclectic taste in music. If you want to see what makes it onto a playlist (which means I had it on repeat more than 20 times during the writing of a particular book), check out my Spotify Playlists! http://smarturl.it/TraceyJerald_Spotify
• Do you re read books? All the time! Each time I get something new from the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment